Why Join BERS?
The BERS pension plan offers immediate and long-term benefits that can help boost your financial well-being—now and in the future.
By enrolling in the pension plan now, you’ll not only receive a steady paycheck for the rest of your life after you retire, but you’ll enjoy these benefits:
- The opportunity to save even more money for retirement through a Tax Deferred Annuity (TDA) Program, which can help you reduce your current taxable income now and save for the future
- Within the TDA, you can choose to invest through the Fixed Program, which offers guaranteed annual growth of 7% for UFT members and 8.25% for all other members, or the Variable Program, which allows you to invest in a diverse mix of stocks, helping you potentially maximize your savings
- Financial protection—disability and accidental death coverage for qualifying members
- The possibility of retiring early at a reduced monthly payout rate (if you qualify)
- The option of leaving your pension benefits to your designated beneficiary
- Access to tax-deferred loans
- Transferable contributions—you can move your money to another compatible plan if you leave BERS
For more detailed information about enrolling in the BERS pension plan, go to our Retirement Programs page
. You can find all the documents you’ll need to enroll on the Forms page
NYC BERS is staffed with knowledgeable, caring retirement representatives who can work with you one-on-one to explain the plan and answer any questions you have.
Retirement representatives can:
- Confirm your eligibility
- Help you complete the enrollment paperwork
- Calculate your per-paycheck contributions
- Help you understand how the TDA Program works
- And so much more!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact a retirement representative at (929) 305-3800 or (800) 843-5575 (outside New York State), Monday through Friday, to set up a teleconference call.